The diverse and vibrant world of reptiles holds a charming resident that captures the hearts of many – the Bearded Dragon. When the term “Fancy” precedes the name of this already mesmerizing creature, it evokes a sense of allure and grandeur. But what is a fancy bearded dragon, and how does it differ from its regular counterparts? This blog post delves into the fascinating world of fancy bearded dragons, exploring their unique traits, breeding information, and more. By the end of this comprehensive guide, you’ll be equipped with ample knowledge about these captivating creatures.
- A fancy bearded dragon is a term used in the pet industry to describe bearded dragons with unique or desirable traits such as color, pattern, and scalation.
- Fancy bearded dragons are bred through selective breeding by pairing two dragons with desired traits.
- Fancy bearded dragons have a variety of types and morphs, each with their unique traits and appearances.
- Fancy bearded dragons require specific care regarding diet, habitat, temperature and lighting, cleaning, and grooming.
- Fancy bearded dragons make good pets due to their docile nature and unique appearance, but they require consistent care.
- Fancy bearded dragons can be acquired from various sources, including online stores, reputable breeders, pet stores, adoption centers, and rescue organizations.
What is a Bearded Dragon?
Bearded Dragons, scientifically known as Pogona, are a group of lizard species native to the arid regions of Australia. Named for the ‘beard’ under their throat, which they puff up when threatened, these dragons are an iconic part of the reptile pet trade. They’re loved for their expressive behaviors, distinctive looks, and moderate care requirements. To learn more about general Bearded Dragon care, check out our posts on bearded dragon shedding, diet, and health concerns.
What Makes a Bearded Dragon a Fancy Bearded Dragon?
A ‘Fancy’ Bearded Dragon isn’t a scientific term but rather a marketing term used in the pet industry to denote a Bearded Dragon with unique or desirable traits such as color, pattern, and scalation. Here’s a quick overview:
- Appearance: A fancy bearded dragon typically sports distinct colors, patterns, or scale textures.
- Price: These dragons can often fetch a higher price due to their unique aesthetic traits.
- Size: Size is generally similar to regular Bearded Dragons but can vary based on the specific morph.
- Lifespan: They have a lifespan of around 10-15 years, similar to regular Bearded Dragons.
- Behavior: There’s no significant difference in behavior between a fancy and regular Bearded Dragon.
Similarities and Differences Between Bearded Dragons and Fancy Bearded Dragons
Fancy Bearded Dragons share many similarities with their regular counterparts, like diet, habitat requirements, and general behavior. However, there are noticeable differences, predominantly related to their physical appearance. This can be summarized in a few key categories:
- Skin Texture: The skin texture can vary in fancy bearded dragons, ranging from smooth scales (like a Leatherback morph) to unique, rough scalation (like a Dunner morph).
- Scalation: Fancy bearded dragons may have unique scalation due to specific morphs.
- Melanin Content: Some fancy bearded dragons may have lower melanin content, making them appear brighter or more translucent.
- Size: Size remains relatively consistent, with adult fancy bearded dragons typically reaching 16-24 inches in length, similar to other Bearded Dragons.
- Color and Pattern: This is where fancy bearded dragons truly shine, boasting a diverse array of colors and patterns not commonly found in their non-fancy counterparts.
How Are Fancy Bearded Dragons Made?
Fancy bearded dragons are produced through selective breeding. Breeders often pair two bearded dragons with desired traits to
produce offspring with those traits. Understanding the genetics of bearded dragons is essential for breeding. If you are interested in breeding fancy bearded dragons, our comprehensive guide on bearded dragon breeding would be invaluable.
Types of Fancy Bearded Dragons
The term “fancy” encompasses a variety of types of bearded dragons, each with their unique traits. They can be categorized by scale type, color, and specialty types.
- Scale Type: Includes varieties like Leatherback, Silkback, and Microscale.
- Color: Colors can range from red to white to even blue (check out our post on Blue Bearded Dragons!)
- Specialty Types: Specialty types are unique morphs like the German Giant or Zero.
Traits and Morphs of Fancy Bearded Dragons
Bearded dragon morphs are the specific combinations of traits that make up a fancy bearded dragon’s appearance. Here are a few examples:
- Zero Bearded Dragon: These are completely patternless, with no colors or markings. More information on how to breed Zero Bearded Dragons can be found on our site.
- Translucent Bearded Dragon: These dragons have a semi-transparent appearance, especially noticeable when they are young.
- Witblits Bearded Dragon: Witblits are characterized by a patternless body, but unlike Zeros, they can display different shades of grey, tan, or peach.
- Dunner Bearded Dragon: Dunners display a unique scale pattern, with scales pointing in different directions.
- Leatherback Bearded Dragon: Leatherbacks have softer and smoother scales compared to normal Bearded Dragons, giving them a sleek appearance.
Health and Husbandry for Fancy Bearded Dragons
Proper care is essential for any pet, and fancy bearded dragons are no exception. Here’s a brief overview:
- Diet: A mix of vegetables, insects, and occasionally fruit. Specifics can be found in our articles on what bearded dragons can eat, and can’t eat.
- Habitat: Bearded dragons require a warm, dry environment, with enough space to move and climb. Learn more about setting up a proper bearded dragon habitat.
- Temperature and Lighting: A gradient temperature setup, with a basking spot and UVB lighting, is crucial for their health.
- Cleaning: Regular habitat cleaning and baths are necessary. Read about bathing your bearded dragon.
- Grooming: Nail trimming and scale care are key. Learn more about bearded dragon nail care.
Do Fancy Bearded Dragons Make Good Pets?
Fancy Bearded Dragons indeed make great pets due to their gentle nature, unique appearance, and relative ease of care. However, they might not be the best choice for everyone.
- Personality Traits: They are generally docile and easy to handle, making them suitable for families and first-time pet owners.
- Compatibility: Fancy bearded dragons should be kept alone, as they can be territorial.
- Care Requirements: They need a consistent care routine, with specific dietary and environmental needs.
Where to Get a Fancy Bearded Dragon
Fancy Bearded Dragons can be acquired from various sources:
- Online Stores: Many reputable online stores sell a wide variety of bearded dragons.
- Reputable Breeders: Breeders often specialize in certain morphs or colors.
- Pet Stores: Physical pet stores may carry fancy bearded dragons, although selection may be limited.
- Adoption Centers: These centers often have bearded dragons needing homes.
- Rescue Organizations: Some rescue organizations might have fancy bearded dragons up for adoption. To learn more about rescuing a bearded dragon, check out our rescue guide.
From their dazzling array of colors and patterns to their distinctive morphs, fancy bearded dragons are truly captivating creatures. They make wonderful pets for those willing to meet their specific care requirements, providing endless fascination with their unique appearances. Whether you’re a veteran reptile enthusiast or a prospective pet owner, the world of fancy bearded dragons offers a wealth of discovery. Dive deeper into the enchanting world of bearded dragons by exploring our other informative articles such as 20 jaw-dropping bearded dragon facts and understanding bearded dragon behavior.